Monday 4 July 2011

4th, 5th and 6th Day

I realised I can't take any money out of my account and saturday, sunday and monday I am broke. Tomorrow we have a big showing from the Gule Wamkulu and the day of the initiation for me if I decided to go through with it, as I am still debating the idea, is supposed to be tonight. I am doing a lot of research about the initiation before I throw myself into this. I am concerned about what razors they will use on me for whatever they are going to cut. I am concerned about what they are going to make me eat because if I fail according to the intereviews I've had so far I will have to pay for it, and you can actually go to Court if you don't pay. Today we went to Limbe and we sat down in a beer hole, we had Nsima. Amazing we managed to get some work done, we interviewed two women about how a woman is initiated and what they learn. Few of the woman were very camera shy, we managed to get two who were confident enough to come forward. They explained as much as possible about female initiation. After a while Hussein's friend passed through and he was in his police uniform looking drunk already. He sat down and he ordered a beer, we started asking him about the different initiations. I asked him if I could put him on camera intereviewing him because it was very interesring, but he refused as he is in his police uniform. We intereviewed him anyway off-camera and for me I have learnt a lot from him, which made me think we could set up an intereview when he is in his normal clothes. We did walk around and captured some footage of how the Chewa people live as Limbe is a very local village. Tomorrow is going to be a big day of my research for my new work to have a strong base and understanding on how to be a boy to be a man and how to be a girl to be a woman. I do believe Chewa people are the strong base of what my research is

No comments:

Post a Comment