Friday 8 July 2011

10th Day

Today we met Hussein at the Warehouse, he said good news he has been asked to perform. We went to the village, the whole thing was an educational event about women's rights. It started with a few people then it seemed like the whole village was there. Mostly little boys and little girls, not as many adults. I enjoyed the energy of the audience and they seemed like they've got a certain sound or chant when they really enjoy something. I captured some amazing footage and I got to listen to the drumming that I learnt yesterday. What excited me was they had 2 different styles of african dance and Muganda was one of them, that reminded me this is really what I wanted to learn. With Muganda for me, it's the aggression and the elegance of the movement that I find tormenting. With my remaining days here in Malawi I want to master this style because it's got so much richness in it. It was really nice to see Hussein and his wife perform, I think Hussein has some spirit and I think he practices african medicine. I was overwhelmed with the drumming and the energy of the whole event. The children are always excited to see me and the camera and are happy to be in it. We changed the day that we are going to meet the director of Theatre of Arts and Culture to tomorrow as this event was last minute. Tomorrow I am looking forward to liase and hopefully something will come out of meeting these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment